A Weekend of Firsts

I was really looking forward to this weekend. It was going to be the first weekend I was going to take my boat out since Memorial Day. Also the first time I had been out on Diamond Lake. The plan was to try the Air Chair and I was pretty stoked.

All I had to do was install the new steering cable and I would be good to go. After doing a little work on Thursday night I left thee rest for Saturday morning. I woke up early and was out in the boat at 7:00 am to get it all finished up. I had to be done by 11:00 am since Tim, Andy and Meagan (Andy’s sister) were coming over so we can head up to the lake.
That was when the second first occurred. After a quick run in with the utility knife and my finger I was off to the emergency room. I honestly have no idea when the last time I went to the hospital other than visiting a family member or friend. I had just cut off the tip of my left index finger and after a brief hesitation I thought it best to go and see if I had really done any serious damage.
7:15- Left house for emergency room.

7:20- Realized urgent care was closed. So off to Holy Family. I was really hoping to never enter a hospital for myself but I had no choice.
7:25- Filled out paperwork and sit in waiting room for my name to be called. I was the only person in the whole room so I figured things would move pretty quick.

7:30- Taken back to get blood pressure taken (and drip blood on the floor).
7:35- Taken into room number 23. Everything was going quickly and I knew I would be out of here in no time. The nurse took a look at my finger and said the doctor would be with me in a few minutes.

7:55- Nurse comes in and tells me I can watch TV while I wait. Why would I want to watch TV when I get to enjoy the beautiful ocean view out my window? Just get him in here so I can leave!
8:15- The doctor finally shows up.

8:16- The doctor leaves after quickly looking at my finger and says the nurse will be right in to clean the wound and send you on your way.

Seriously I just waited 40 minutes for the doctor to tell me all I needed to do was clean it up and bandage the cut. So now I need to wait for the nurse to come back and get started.

8:25- Still no nurse, I start cleaning up my hand and trying to clean off my finger around the cut.
8:35- Nurse finally comes in and finishes cleaning my cut and wraps it up.

9:05- I am checked out and finally heading home to finish working on my boat because I am going to the lake today no matter what.

10:00- Finally finish fixing the boat and notice a bit of blood has started seeping through the bandage. Great, how am I supposed to go to the lake if my finger won’t stop bleeding?

10:05- Back to the hospital for a second time to get them to do it RIGHT this time. The entire bandage was red. I hadn’t been to the hospital in who knows how long and now I have been twice in one day. Are you serious!

10:15- Back through the doors into the emergency room for the second time in three hours and if you thought last time was fast, this will completely amaze you.

I was taken straight back and taken care of right off the bat. This time I had the doctor and a few nurses. I think they might have felt bad since they did such a crappy job the first time. Finally they did it the correctly and I was on my way home in about 30 minutes. Just in time to finish cleaning up before Tim, Andy and Meagan arrived.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing up at the lake and enjoying one of the last nice weekends that we will have. It killed me not to be able to get into the water but at least I made it to the lake.

I guess when the wheels fall off they all go at once. I am hoping my knee is back in working order cause now swimming is going to be a pain in the ass with only 9.9 fingers.

PS: I have a few more pictures of all the blood and the wound that are pretty (cool) graphic if you want to see them but in fear of people fainting and falling out of their chairs I thought best to not post them. We don't need to send anyone else to the hospital.


M-Dot said...

Ouch! Hope your fingers healing quick.

Tiffany said...

Ok, your pictures of the hands were hilarious! I'm so sorry about your finger! Those injuries are such a pain! They hurt so much more than they should for being so small!

And what about Holy Family doing a crappy job taking care of you the first time? Did you forget cardinal rule #1: when at the ER at Holy Family, say your last name is Byrd! ;)

Ali said...

Sorry about your finger... and the whole mess it carried with it.
I do love the pictures... pretty creative! :)

M-K-C-T-R Rydeen said...

Steve sounds like you were able to make lemonade out of lemons. It seems that Murphy had other plans for you.

Glad to see that you were able to get out and enjoy the lake, albeit after a few detours.


Josh said...

That sounds like no fun at all. I am a complete wimp when it comes to blood and probably would have passed out. Glad you are doing ok though. Hang in there, I hope the knee also starts to feel better!

LORIE said...

This post cracks me up. . .although not the subject. Bummer. Hope you are healing!